Bounce Design Labs - Nexus Backpack 20L Black StormShield
- If you're a person who lives and organizes out of pouches, this bag isn't for you.
- If you're a person who prefers to utilize the organization within a bag and doesn't like having all those additional pouches to take in and out all the time, this is 1000% the bag for you.
- 20L is a lie. With all it's organization, this bag can easily hold more than that. The bag itself feels huge when you're searching through it. It doesn't feel that way when carrying it though.
- Travel much? If so, you need to check this one out. I can easily see this as a one-bagger. The additional advantage is those hidden pockets - they're ideal for stashing cash, Passports, ID or anything else that you're wanting to make it a little harder for others to find.
- The water bottle pockets are probably on of my favorite parts of this bag. They're so tall!!! I have been using them to stash my glasses cases and wallet/keys. I bent over to pick something up the other day without thinking - nothing is falling out of those pockets!!!
- StormShield. Need I say more? StormShield and Robic are my absolute favorite fabrics these days.
Let’s start at the beginning. When looking at this bag from the front, you immediately see hook/loop sections great for all your morale patches. There’s a couple of vertical pockets there as well – one kind of sits overtop of the other. They both run the width of that center section. The other nice thing is those small loops – 3 on either side plus 2 on the bottom. Looks like you can run some cord through there if you wish. I have no use to do that but I can also see them being great for things like patch tags!
The front wall of that same compartment is another Mecca of organization. This time, you have a built in admin panel of sorts, fantastic for pens and, as you can see here, a tiny pair of scissors. Believe it or not, I end up using those darn scissors more frequently than I ever would have guessed!!!
Thought you were done with pockets??? Nope – the back wall of that whole admin panel is the front of an entire open slip pocket!!! Once again, below that is another zip pocket!!
The front wall of the main compartment pocket has, you guessed it – more organization!!! There’s a long orange zipper at the top that opens up a pocket there. That pocket goes all the way to where that second horizontal zipper is. You can also see 2 zippers that reveal two pockets there as well. I have an Alpaka Hub pouch in the open slip pocket on the left. There’s an identical slip pocket on the right where the elastic is – great for items like a small flashlight, pocket knife, etc.
The organization doesn’t stop there – take a look the bottom there. That horizontal orange zipper at the bottom? See the black trim that goes vertically down from there, about an inch away from the side of the bag??? Yeah, that’s a panel that opens up to reveal more organization
Carrying: Considering how hefty it felt when I picked it up, I was worried about how heavy this bag would be on my back . I shouldn’t have worried at all. The straps adjust easily so that you can wear it higher or lower depending on your preference. Thanks to the plushy S straps, this backpack is extremely comfortable to carry and it doesn’t feel nearly as heavy on your back. I was very pleasantly surprised!!
Quality: As I’ve discovered with Bounce Design Labs, quality is of number 1 importance. The StormShield fabric is amazing as always. The build quality is top notch. Take a look at that sternum buckle again. It’s a good, solid metal buckle that is easy to use and will last years. The stitching of the entire bag is impeccable. You can tell that they truly looked at how pockets would be used to determine whether one or two zippers would be best. Speaking of zippers, they’re smooth as can be!! Every square inch of this bag was carefully thought about to ensure it was as useful and efficient as possible and that space was maximized as best as they could. BDL doesn’t skimp on quality.
Favorite Aspects of the Bag:
Comfort - It’s so comfortable!!!! Again, they really put thought into how to make this bag as comfortable as possible for extended use.
Quality- Many companies choose profit over customers wants and needs and find ways to cut corners. Not Bounce Design Labs. This is the 4th style of bag I’ve purchased from them and every one has been superb quality. The Nexus is no exception!!
Organization: I’m pretty sure I haven’t found all the pockets in this bag yet and there’s a good chance I never will. I love the thoughtfulness that was put into designing this bag. From spots to put pens to hidden pockets to safely store things like documents and cash, there’s a place for everything. Part of the fun of this bag is going to be figuring out where I’m keeping everything!
Things I Would Change:
Honestly, not much. If I were being nit-picky about it, my one qualm is the organization pockets don’t have much depth to them. If you have thicker, bulkier items, they will cause the pocket to bulge out a little bit. I struggled a little finding a good spot to put my medication organizer. It’s fairly small overall, but because it’s a square piece of plastic that is a little thicker, most pockets were not ideal for it. I ended up settling for the long, horizontal pocket in the main compartment and was quite happy with it there. The lack of depth is likely due to the thickness and squishiest of the fabric used throughout the interior of the bag. In order to have deeper pockets, you’d probably have to go with a thinner fabric and I’m not sure it’s worth the trade-off.
Overall Impressions:
This is one heck of a backpack. Even after exploring it, I’m still pretty sure I haven’t found all the pockets yet! This bag is ideal for people who prefer their organization built into a bag rather than using pouches for everything. I can see it also being incredibly useful for travel- there’s lots of little pockets and compartments that would be incredibly useful for hiding things you don’t want others to have quick access to.
Bounce Design Labs has knocked this one out of the park, as usual!!
Comments
Post a Comment